TR-4A: Solid rear axle seal and brake questions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: TR-4A: Solid rear axle seal and brake questions
From: John Cowan <jfcowan@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 09:41:57 -0700
The rear brakes and axle on my solid axle TR-4A are a mess because:

1. I may have a bad rear axle bearing, so I may have given the bearings
too much grease, causing grease to leak past the seals.

2. I definitely overfilled the differential and oil leaked out past the seals.

3. I applied the emergency brake with the drum off the rear brake.

Questions:

1. Might the diff oil hve washed out the grease around the wheel
bearings?  Should I inject more grease? Is it possible to see it leak out
if it's too full, as is the case with the front suspension?

2. What's the best way to clean up the brakes?

3. Might I have harmed the brake cylinder or seals by actuating the
emergency brake with the drum off?

Thanks.

John Cowan

     Forward this review to a friend.  To subscribe, send email to:
jfcowan@pacbell.net.  Check out previous reviews at:
http://home.pacbell.net/jfcowan