TR7 BFH#12

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net, tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: TR7 BFH#12
From: Eganb@aol.com
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 00:05:09 EDT
Well, PB Blaster did the trick.  After using the stuff every day for about a
week, the exhaust manifold bolts came off without a whimper -- although to be
honest I don't think they were on as tight as they should have been.  That's
been the story on most of the components I have taken off the engine --
almost like someone just put it back together enough to sell it to someone
like me who was blinded by the Inca Yellow paint job!....

I haven't taken the manifold off yet, and it doesn't look like there are any
gaskets between manifold and head, but somewhere I read that the fuel
injected models do have gaskets, and they are recommend for the carb models
as well.  So I'll reinstall with gaskets.

And speaking of gaskets, what's the consensus these days about gasket
sealants?  For the sump gasket, timing cover gasket, and others, should I
just use a new gasket, or use a sealant as well?  And what gasket sealant do
folks prefer these days -- something from Permatex?

And should I coat the manifold bolts with anything special to help make it
easier if I have to remove them in the future?

Later.

Bruce
1980 Inca Yellow TR7 5-speed convertible
Chapel Hill, NC