Re: What happens if?

To: BPAULTR3@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: What happens if?
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 21:48:10 -0600

BPAULTR3@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 10/20/2000 6:41:06 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
> jmcneal@ohms.com writes:
>
> <<  Bob, you seem like
>  the kind of person who would be cynical enough to target him next.  Joe is
>  of course at Triumphest here in San Diego and hasn't been receiving his
>  e-mail apparently, so I don't know what he wants me to do regarding the
>  banners. >>

I'll answer this on behalf of others if only to see if the list is
working this slow weekend. <smile>

For the record, I have nothing against Jeff McNeal, or Bob Paul, or
anyone else (have tried to provide technical help to Jeff at times, and
will probably be in Albuquerque next weekend with Bob for the Rocky
Mountain Vintage Racers event). But, let us all try to keep the business
of this list in perspective.

Americans think that any venue for venting political feelings is fair
game, including this one, which has nothing to do with national
politics. Some have tried to introduce their political beliefs into the
list by referencing old Triumphs, and their fates, because of local and
state laws which might suggest that old cars should be headed for the
crusher. How much any national candidate for President might be in favor
of such state and local laws remains to be seen.

Personally, I don't see how a few thousand cars of ancient manufacture
are going to be affected by the policies of either Gore or Bush on the
national level. Or what that might have to do with the country at large.

One of my New Mexico contemporaries ended one of his missives with
"anybody wanna discuss abortion, the Pope, or gun control?"

This person does not speak for me (as a fellow New Mexican), or for
anyone but himself. He's entitled to his views. He can speak them as he
wishes. But, for chrissakes, speak of them somewhere else. I don't have
to agree with his political views because he likes Triumphs, as do I.
He's entitled to his views, but they have no place here.

I like the occasional joke, the occasional aside from the technical
issues. Those people who believe that the list should _only_ be devoted
to the utter compulsive-obsessive attention to Triumph perfection are
also missing the point.

What I am saying, I suppose, to all, is:  have a sense of proportion,
and a sense of perspective. Life does not revolve around your Triumph.
Life does not revolve around politics.

Many of you have the great pleasure of having full lives, and families,
and interests which make up a full life, and the Triumph in the garage
is just one part of that full life. Revel in that part of a full life,
but don't let it become that life, nor let political beliefs dominate
your life any more than does the Triumph in the garage.

I greatly appreciate this list--I've met many good people through it.
People count. If any of you believe that the car in your garage is more
important than your family, or the people you know, if any of you
believe that your political views are more important than those of your
contemporaries, you're missing the point.

Triumph owners in this country and throughout the world are part of a
fraternity, and, perhaps, are part of a dying fraternity. The marque is
no longer manufactured. All of us, everywhere, with an interest in the
cars, are trying to preserve its history in our own ways. Here, in this
forum, first and foremost, that should be respected, rather than the
transient and partisan political views of the day.

Cheers, all.

--

Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM