Shims and Axle Float

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, justin@bexel.com
Subject: Shims and Axle Float
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 02:31:30 EDT
Justin
axle shaft end float should be 0.004" to 0.006" (0.1 to 0.15mm) - in other
words your end float of 1mm is 10x factory specs. (TR4 specs anyway)
To tighten it up you remove shims. To keep the 'thrust block' in the
differential centered remove equal shims from both sides.
Replacing the rear bearings & seals is a super tough job - I would try to get
your end float right on the money so they last longer.

Carl Sereda
'63 TR4 since '74