Re: TR6 brakes = front and rear upgrade = 18% reduction in stopping d is

Subject: Re: TR6 brakes = front and rear upgrade = 18% reduction in stopping d istance
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 16:27:22 -0700
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net

lee.k.janssen@lmco.com wrote:

> NOTE THAT BRAKING DISTANCES DECREASE MORE DUE TO UPGRADING THE REAR BRAKE
>CYLINDERS > THAN BY MODIFYING THE FRONT CALIPERS!

Lee :

I assume you mean that the rear brake upgrade was necessary to balance
the front upgrade, and NOT that simply switching to larger rear
cylinders will reduce stopping distances ...

BTW, someone asked where to get the .75" rear cylinders.  Moss lists
them as P/N 580-025 for $22.95/each.  I'm sure TRF also has them.  They
were original equipment on TR3A after TS56377 (9" drums) to TR4
CT5655(wire wheel), CT5782(disc wheel).  Also used on TR3 after TS13046
(Girling 10" drums) to TR3A TS15331.

TR3A from TS15332 to TS34403 also used .75" cylinders, but the pistons
were slotted, apparently to compensate for the lack of hold-down spring
on these cars.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver
(trying to catch up on my 3 on-topic posts before the Internet police
get here ...
Who's knocking at my door ?)