Steering wheel alignment

To: Triumph 6-pack mail list <6pack@autox.team.net>, triumph mail list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Steering wheel alignment
From: Mitchel Seff <ms6453@optonline.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 21:17:27 -0400
Hi all,

 I have what seems to be a simple problem but I'm blanking out on the
repair. My directional canceling is off centered so that my left turn (
pushing the lever down ) is right on the cancel position when driving
straight ahead. After I make a left turn I must over turn the wheel
about an inch to the right to turn off the left signal. After looking at
the steering column and shaft, the only way I can see to adjust this is
by a wheel alignment ( tie rod end adjustment ) and then re-adjusting
the steering wheel to center again. Am I missing something? All
components on the steering column are machined to fit one way. The only
splined fitting is the steering wheel itself.
TIA
Mitch Seff
Oceanside N.Y.
74.5 TR6