Bang for the Buck (was Bolt on Fuel Injection speaker in S. CA)

To: ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Bang for the Buck (was Bolt on Fuel Injection speaker in S. CA)
From: Cregg Cowan <cowan@erg.sri.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 16:49:13 -0700
Cc: cowan@erg.sri.com
Hi Randall,

        > I got the distinct impression that they had not yet tested it on an
actual TR,

Thanks for the info on TBI --- I'll be interested to hear someone's
experience on a TR!

        > [...snip] unless you are racing in a
        > class that forbids it, I think there's more "bang for the buck" to be
had with
        > a supercharger/turbocharger.  Of course, no one is currently building
an
        > "off-the-shelf" system for the TR6, but it shouldn't be too hard to
fabricate one.

Ahhhh, "Bang for the Buck" is just what I'm looking for.

I'd like to hear opinions on the most cost-effective way to convert a stock
setup to ~150Hp  for street use.  (I don't plan to campaign the car, but I
would be interested in more "umph." I'm currently exempt from smog tests,
but I wouldn't want to make a lot of emissions.)

AFAIK there are several camps re: more Hp
- increased compression and hotter cam only
- force feeding (turbo/supercharger)
- PI (fuel injection on this side of the pond)
- V8 engine swap

What are the relative costs vs. performance improvements?  Any one willing
to take a stand?

As always, TIA,
Cregg Cowan
71 TR6 daily driver