Re: TR7 BFH#15

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR7 BFH#15
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 18:40:08 -0400
Eganb@aol.com wrote:

> Ok,  this time, instead of making a muck of things, I'll ask first...
>
> I can't figure out how to get the flywheel bushing out, so I can put in the
> new one.  As you know, it resides in the rear of the crankshaft, and there's
> no way to get behind it to tap it out.
>
> So, before I start messing around with a screwdriver, any thoughts?
>
> I assume that once I get it out, I can simply tap in the new one?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Bruce
> 1980 Inca Yellow TR7 5-speed convertible
> Chapel Hill, NC

Bruce,

The old mechanic's trick is to stick your grease gun in the end of the pilot
bush and pump the area behind the bush full of grease - then take a shaft very
close to the same internal diameter and insert it into the pilot.  Tap the end
of the shaft and since the grease is non-compressible it transfers the force to
the backside of the pilot bush popping it clear of the end of the crank.  We
cheat around here and just grab the spare input shafts that we use for clutch
alignment.  If you don't have a spare input, I bet the tail end of a drill bit
would work fine.  It doesn't take much force from the hammer to pop the bush out
- just be sure you don't get air trapped when filling the cavity - if you do,
the first tap from the hammer will sink in quickly -  just remove the shaft and
pump more grease until you get a solid pack.  Probably have it out in less than
5 minutes including the time to wipe the grease out of the crank afterward.

Cheers!

Brian Schlorff
Power British
http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars