1960 TR3A for sale

To: "HarvoC@aol.com" <HarvoC@aol.com>, "Iwatr3@aol.com" <Iwatr3@aol.com>, "jimmad@juno.com" <jimmad@juno.com>, Steven McCutcheon <Steven.McCutcheon@MAH.GOV.ON.CA>, "T.R. Householder" <trhouse@greenapple.com>, "WBabbitt@aol.com" <WBabbitt@aol.com>, trlist <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: 1960 TR3A for sale
From: Kevin D Richards <flybirds@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 13:49:53 -0500
Hi there...some more details on the car since I just got it home today.
Engine number: (hiding under green paint) TS74307
Trans number (taken off right side of tranny half way down):306812sm

Had the car flatbedded home today. BRRRRRRRR winter is here!
I had a nice long look under the car. This car has been taken down to
the bare chassis, stripped and painted black. Cannot see ANY chassis
rust. Passed the screwdriver and hammer test everywhere that was
questionable (ie peeling paint). Pumped up the tires, (Michelin ZX) on
knockoffs(in great shape but will need to be blasted and repainted), and
had a look behind the wheels. First off, splines are all new. Wheels
come off in a jif. Knockoff ears are pretty battered. Rear: looks like
new bearings and seals, with aluminum brake drums. Rear end does not
look like it has been messed with (still a bit grimy). All suspension
points are SOLID. Chassis in great shape. Front: New Rotors, looks like
new seals, but that is about it. Calipers are in new caliper boxes, but
no new calipers to be found. (probably still in PO's basement
somewhere...she has my number and if she finds anything, she'll call
me). No excessive play in front end. Steering the same. I hooked up the
battery to my car (via jumpers), and the PO had obviously set up the
engine to run on the chassis to run it in and set up the dual webers. It
cranks right over, with spark plugs in place. New distributor with
points ignition, new Lucas Sport coil. The PO rigged up a push button
starter under the hood so he could start it while he fiddled with the
webers. Turns over nicely. Not going to put electricity to it until I am
sure of the proper grounding, etc. Engine has been rebuilt. Took off
ALLOY valve cover to find all nice and shiny new rocker shaft, etc.
Everything looks great.
Body. From the front: headlight front panel with grille surround in mint
shape. has emblems and headlights, just rested into place. Hood has some
surface rust, but the sheetmetal is near mint. Doors are in great shape,
no rust...have not checked for bondo in the doors, but I doubt it since
they look so good. Floors All new and perfect. A posts are new. Sills
inner and outer are new. Drivers side outer sill is not there, another
basement item I am sure. Also, aluminum trim bits are new and with the
car. New rear of car ....new inner and outer wheel wells, new rear
fenders new boot floor, new spare tire stowage area, new boot lid,
etc.New rear piece (where door to spare tire is and where lights mount).
Have old rear piece, and pristine spare tire door with latches.
Interior is original and in perfect shape. Frames are perfect. Springs
etc all good. Dark Brown with cream piping. Cleaned up really nice last
weekend. Two small holes where the ubiquitous mice entered to reside.
Mouse holes are size of  quarter and easily repaired with spare vinyl
under seat. Trans cover is replaced with vinyl one. Door panels are just
as good, as are the rear panel (in front of gas tank) and cockpit rails.
Windshield is in great shape, just needs polishing. Dash as described
previously. Still can't find speedo or tach. This car will have pictures
taken of it tomorrow, and I will be able to put them up to whoever wants
to see them. Just give me a couple of days for developing,etc.
Those who wish to see the car, I am available on monday, and wednesday
of this week.

Price:
$4500 with webers
$3500 without.
Have a bunch of spare parts described above, body seals, master
cylinders(new), etc.

Missing items: speedo and tach, gas tank, radiator. some chrome bits.
Please call me if you want to come and see the car.
203 776 0510

Car is located in Stratford, Connecticut.

cheers
Kevin Richards

I have just come into ownership of a Triumph. It is a rather funny
story. I was at a flea market and there was a TR6 for sale, so I stopped
and had a look, and kept on going. I have my own restoration of a 62 MGA
going on right now, and on my budget, I could never dream of spending
the 7500 they wanted for the TR6. Plus, My wife would have a fit.

So, I was minding my own business when a guy comes up behind me while I
was looking at some other antiques and such, and he asked me if I liked
"those cars", I responded kindly that I like all brit cars, but MG's in
particular.
well, that brought the old sentence that sparks up my eyes.....

"I have this friend that has this car that she wants to get rid of..."

So, being the curious type, and always hoping to find a twincam under a
tarp in someone's garage, I bit..
I went and looked at it yesterday...it was not an MG, but a TR3A....a
1960.
First of all, let me say that I am located in Connecticut.
Turns out, as the story goes, that this car was a restoration project
that did not get finished.
The details:
The car is 96% complete. I do not yet have the car at my garage as I
have an MGA inhabiting the space that will be getting shipped off to
Utah soon, so it will be a while before I can get this car up on jack
stands to have a good look.
>From what I can tell, the car has been taken down to the bare frame. I
looked under the car, and the chassis is nice and has a shiny coat of
paint on it. The body is yellow, a primrose yellow of sorts. The floors
have been totally replaced as have the sills. The body from the doors
back has been completely replaced with new "made in England"
panels...the panels still have the labels.
The Engine has been completely rebuilt. It looks like a brand new
engine, with ....a nice touch here...twin sidedraft webers that have
never seen a driven mile. The interior is brown, and is removed from the
car. Besides a couple of mouse nests and two quarter sized mouse holes,
they are in remarkable condition. The car has wire wheels, and even has
brand new aluminum-finned brake drums.  The front and rear fenders are
all new, although the fronts are fiberglass. The car has a new crane
electronic ignition and performance coil. the trans looks just  as good
as the engine, but I do not know whether or not it has been rebuilt. The
car comes with a multitude of new parts such as: new fender piping,
brake and clutch master cylinders(girling),new wiring harness,  new
brake rotors (fitted), all original chrome and new (sports and classics)
hinges, various new body fitting and packing pieces (The roadster
factory), new air filter housings, a spare head (not new and in unknown
condition), The doors are in great shape as is the whole nose section
and grille. Windshield is great!
Basically, this car has had all of the expensive work done to it, and
even a few goodies thrown in (webers), (su's that are original to the
car are still with it). Missing items so far: speedo and tach (all other
gauges are there and even the keys work the glovebox and ignition),
Brake calipers, and I have the previous owner checking to see that those
items are not hiding somewhere in the garage...I mean someone who went
to this trouble restoring the car must have them stashed somewhere...so
we'll see if they turn up.
This car just needs to be finished. All new british sheetmetal from the
doors back! Newly built engine! webers! wow.

So, I will be getting this car into my garage for the full once-over
soon. I will post more info as I get to know the car a bit better, but
for now, this car is looking fantastic.

I will not lie, I am not a Triumph guy, but if I found a 1960 MGA in
this shape, I would be psyched.

I will be getting the car to the garage and taking a bunch of pics
within the next two weeks. If anyone wants to come and see it then, I
will be happy to show it to them.
As far as Price, I don't know yet. Once I sort out what I have, I'll
come up with one, but I know it will be cheap as I want to sell this
car.
The car, again, is located in southern Connecticut.

Cheers

Kevin Richards