Oil Pressure Relief Valve & Additives

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil Pressure Relief Valve & Additives
From: "Jay Snavely" <jays@paonline.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 14:22:50 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
I have been planning to rebuild the bottom end of my TR6 engine, due to low
oil pressure when the oil is hot, but someone suggested checking the spring.
I removed the spring from the valve.  Its free length was just .030 less
than the 1.53" length in the Bentley, and the spring rate seemed to be Ok
although I had no real accruate means to measure it.  I noticed that Moss
has what they call a heavy duty spring which is to increase the oil
pressure.  I am wondering if this would have an effect on the oil pressure
when the oil is hot.  I am not sure if the oil pump outputs enough pressure
when the oil is hot to cause the valve to open, even with the present
spring.  If this is the case, the stronger spring should be of no value.
Has anyone used this spring, and what was the result?

 Also, I don't remember prior discussions about oil additives and whether
they were an acceptible short term remedy for low oil pressure.  I just put
some STP in my truck to cut down on oil consumption, and I was amazed to see
the reduction in oil consumption, and an improvment in the hot oil pressure,
at idle and at road speed.

Jay
74TR6