Oil Pressure Relief Valve & Additives

To: "Jay Snavely" <jays@paonline.com>
Subject: Oil Pressure Relief Valve & Additives
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 06:53:32 -0500
Cc: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by "Jay Snavely"
>I have been planning to rebuild the bottom end of my TR6 engine, due to
low
>oil pressure when the oil is hot, but someone suggested checking the
spring.

Forget the spring.  If you have 70 PSI when cold the spring is working
fine.  It is just wishful thinking to suppose that you can fix your problem
that easily.

> Also, I don't remember prior discussions about oil additives and whether
>they were an acceptible short term remedy for low oil pressure.

Sure.  STP is an excelent short term treatment for low oil pressure.  It is
just like switching from 10W-40 to 20W-50.  You can buy a few years this
way.  This is exactly what I am doing with my TR8 (although I did a bottom
end rebuild on the TR6 and I get excelent oil pressure even with 10W-40
even in hot weather).

Dave