RE: GT6 Cylinder Head interchangeability

To: Steve Reilly <Luckyone@sympatico.ca>
Subject: RE: GT6 Cylinder Head interchangeability
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 07:05:07 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>Can the cylinder heads on GT6 engines be interchanged between years/MK's?
>What exactly are the differences?
Basically there are two heads used on the GT6 and they are not
interchangeable for the most part from a practicable standpoint.  The main
obvious differences are that the MK1 heads used until probably sometime
around 1968 are characterized by their exposed tubular push rod tubes and,
more importantly, the intake and exhaust ports centerlines are basically
"in line" with each other.  I believe that the head bolt holes may be
differently spaced as well, but my memory is failing me at the moment and
that is probably incorrect.  I may be confusing this with the fact that the
early 1147 Spitfire head is not interchangeable with the later 1296 heads
which corresponds to about the same time frame because of different bolt
hole spacing and quantity among other things.  However, the GT6 from around
1969 and later uses a different head type with cast openings for the push
rod tubes, and the exhaust port centerlines are *lower* or offset from the
intake ports.  The TR250/TR6 follows the same basic head type, and uses the
same castings as above, but with a different head thickness because of
compression ratio differences -

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)