TR6 fuel pump

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 fuel pump
From: Joe Flake <flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 11:02:01 EST

A week ago, my TR6 ('72) had to suffer the humiliation
of a ride home on a flatbed towtruck.  After a lovely
sunny ride of about 80 miles, it just made that
hollow sound of "just quit running".  Fortunately an
easy push off the street and into a parking lot.

A quick look said "gas in tank" but not "gas in fuel
filter next to carbs".  My assumption was a clogged
fuel line (happened once before some years back) and
I didn't want to mess with it.  Cell phone and tow
truck to the rescue.

Anyway, closer work this weekend showed full flow
into the fuel pump (all over me and the floor when
I pulled the hose!) and only dribbles out the other
side while cranking.  OK, so order a new one and
make a quick repair.

I'll order one today. In the mean time I went ahead
and removed the old one.  Sure enough, manually moving
the lever showed no resistance, then shaking it seemed
to free it up.  Being curious, I took off the diaphram
cover just to see what was bouncing around.  It seems
the "goes outa" one-way valve and spring were
just bouncing around inside, along with the washer
they normally sit behind.  But I couldn't see anything
which would have held it in the casting in the
first place.  It was a snug fit in the casting, but
not tight.  Is it supposed to have been crimped or
dimpled over the washer to hold it in place?  Should
I just crimp it in place and put it back on the car?

Thanks!
Joe
flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com