Re: Cleaning out the hydraulics

To: Phil Ethier <pethier@isd.net>
Subject: Re: Cleaning out the hydraulics
From: erl@unix.mail.virginia.edu
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 10:13:22 -0500 (EST)
Cc: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>, "Daniel S. Eiland" <deiland1@elp.rr.com>, "Tigers@autox,team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>, Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>, Alpines <alpines@autox.team.net>
Mmdf-warning: Parse error in original version of preceding line at mail.virginia.edu
Remember, there is a density difference between the silicon and regular
brake fluids.  The regular is more dense, as I recollect.  Although
seeming to be miscible, they will separate over time.  What this means is,
that if you have some regular remaining, it will collect in the wheel
cylinders, and will give the results, in terms of moisture collection, as
if you did not have silicon present.  Second mistake with silicon is that
it does not take kindly to being shaken.  It retains micro-bubbles of air
for a long time.  Thus you do NOT use the old "pump the brakes" to put it
in the system.  This adds air to the system.  You must use one of the
pressure feed systems, or be very patient, and let it just flow into the
system.  Failure to observe this is what leads to the "spongy" brakes so
often mentioned when silicon is used.

Cheers

On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, Phil Ethier wrote:

> From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
> To: Phil Ethier <pethier@isd.net>
> Cc: Daniel S. Eiland <deiland1@elp.rr.com>; Tigers@autox,team.net
> <tigers@autox.team.net>; Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>; Alpines
> <alpines@autox.team.net>
> Date: Wednesday, November 01, 2000 11:37 PM
> Subject: Re: Cleaning out the hydraulics
>

> >Phil,
> >The madness doesn't pass.  It only gets worse each time you detect another
> leak and more paint eaten off!!!
> >
> >DOT 5 is the only way to go!
>
> So your solution to leaky hydraulic brakes is to change to a paint-friendly
> fluid.  I'd rather fix the leaks.
>
> I put silicone fluid in a Midget some time back and could never get a hard
> pedal.  Switched back to Castrol GT LMA and had no problems.
>
> The only way to make sure that silicone works is to completely rebuild your
> system.  That should take care of your leaks anyway, so the fluid-swap
> becomes redundant.
>
> Phil Ethier    Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
> 1970 Lotus Europa, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Suburban, 1962 Triumph TR4 CT2846L
> LOON, MAC   pethier@isd.net     http://www.mnautox.com/
> "It makes a nice noise when it goes faster"
> - 4-year-old Adam, upon seeing a bitmap of Grandma Susie's TR4.

James A. Ruffner