sidescreen body rubber strips( trying again)

To: jgillis <jgillis@tcd.ie>
Subject: sidescreen body rubber strips( trying again)
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 09:53:22 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by jgillis
>Hello all
I have just come back from my garage after two days of fitting all my body
mounting pads, spacers and bolts to my TR2. It took some time and a
little bit of drilling out, but all seems fine. I used the specified number
of
pads and shims from the workshop manual. My question relates to the
strips of rubber supplied which lay on different parts of the chassis legs.

With all pads in place the body comes no where near making contact with
this strip, especially at the front in the engine compartment. I fail to
see
how it is possible for the rubber strip to make contact, given that the
pads
and spacers lift the body well clear of the chassis. Is this normal and if
so
how necessary are these strips. I see them as a trap for dirt and muck on
the top of the chassis leg. They are going to be tricky to fit anyway,
using
contact adhesive I guess, so any advice would be welcome before I
continue.
<

John,

I have no definitive advice for you as I have never done a "body-off" on a
TR2-3 and I forget exactly what I did on my TR6.  But consider that
although the body is not contacting the frame as you set it on there it may
flex under dynamic situations (driving over bumps and potholes) and the
rubber strips may tone doen the resulting rattles.  Also, the rubber
mounting pads may compress and shrink over time bringing the body and frame
closer together.

But, no matter what you do, it will still drive the same.  The difference
will be subtle at best.  And If there is a large gap at this time you may
still be able to push the strips in between after the car is complete.

Cheers and good luck

Dave Massey
St. Louis, MO USA
57 TR3