TR6 Front Suspension Rebuild

To: "triumphs (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 Front Suspension Rebuild
From: "Biedermann, Frank (SSABSA)" <frank@ssabsa.sa.gov.au>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 13:04:10 +1030
Hello all,

It's been a while since I posted anything to the list, but unfortunately I
haven't had a lot to add to any of the recent discussions, and I (luckily)
didn't have any questions. Until now...

To those of you who have done this before, what bits should I replace on the
front suspension when I'm rebuilding it? I currently have a list of, I guess
you could call them perishables, which I am ordering thus:

Shock Absorbers
Tie Rod Ends
Anti Sway Bar Link Assemblies
Anti Sway Bar Bushes
Wishbone Bushes and Ancilliaries
Ball Joints
Wheel Bearings (while I'm down there, even though they seem ok)
Steering Boots

I guess what I'm asking is whether there's anything I've missed that I
should replace, or look at replacing while I'm there. I can't say that I'm
sure the trunnions do (or don't need replacing), but I think I'll wait until
I've disassembled the suspension before I can check them for wear properly.
I'm also not sure about the sterring rack, but I can get that refurbished if
I need to when everything is in bits. Should I use grease in everything, or
90wt oil in the bits that the manual describe as needing that?

Have I missed anything? Any advice on how I should do the job - I must say I
don't particularly like the idea of disassembling the front suspension using
the method in the workshop manual - I'm not sure that relieving the spring
tension by using a floor jack would be my ideal choice... I think I should
go out and get a spring compressor to be on the safe side...

Frank Biedermann
1969 TR6 PI
Adelaide
AUSTRALIA