RE: XJ6 upper ball joints on a TR6

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, lee.k.janssen@lmco.com
Subject: RE: XJ6 upper ball joints on a TR6
From: HAMILTON DOUG <douglasehamilton@home.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 11:02:49 -0700
Lee,
I had the same questions as you so I emailed GRM and got some
clarification here is their reply. They got an extra 0.5 degree of
castor with the XJ 6 ball joint.

Doug Hamilton
60 TR3A

        Re: TR3 questions
   Date:
        Mon, 22 Jan 2001 10:11:09 EST
   From:
        GRMTim@aol.com
     To:
        douglasehamilton@home.com
    CC:
        GRMdavid@aol.com

I have a question regarding your February story on your vintage race TR3
project.
On your front suspension did you use TR4 trunnions (3 degree castor Moss
#661-450 & 661-460) on your lower control arms and if so how much extra
castor did you get with the upper control arm mods?

(Yes, we used the TR4 lower trunnions. We gained about 2.5 degrees
castor.)

I have a set of 240z aluminum drums and my 1960 TR3a has 9" drums thanks
to your article I now see how to make them work together (center hole
needs to be opened 0.060" larger).
An additional question regarding the October Triumph TR's story you
recommend using Datsun 510 wagon rear springs on Triumph TR IRS. A
friend of mine and I are both trying to find a Datsun 510 wagon with IRS
all the 510 wagons we've been able to find have solid axles and leaf
springs what year should we be looking for or is it the sedan springs we
want.

(The springs are actually 1974 and up Datsun 510 (2nd gen.) hatchbacks.)

Sincerely,

Tim Suddard
Publisher/Grassroots Motorsports
(904) 673-4148