Re: Manual for general knowledge. Reply - Long - No LBC

To: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@home.com>
Subject: Re: Manual for general knowledge. Reply - Long - No LBC
From: "Gary Allgood" <leyte@lvs.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 16:57:53 -0600
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Scott,

> BEFORE ANYONE YELLS! I do not accuse all mechanics of this type practice

I am not yelling, but want to say my peace.

Better put a video camera in your pocket before you go to a dentist!
Mechanics are always viewed terrible by the public, and some of them deserve
it. Do all dentists pay for those who have done some pretty disgusting
things while their patients were under anesthesia? (only an observation,
sorry if it offends anyone)

We sure don't look down on Abraham Lincoln because of William Jefferson
Clinton or Richard Nixon (only a comparison, not intended as bashing). Sure
it is a different level in the food chain, but the story is the same. There
is always a "bad" apple in every basket.

My brother is a mechanic and owns a shop, he has been a GM mechanic, for 20+
years. He has people walk in with electronic parts from Parts Plus, or Auto
Zone and expect him to put it on and warranty it. Ever used an electrical
part from Auto Zone? What warranty would you give? He has used car dealers
asking him to put junkyard parts on cars they put on their lot.

People bring their car in, he diagnoses the problem and informs them in
writing of the problem and cost. The responses are either, I can get that
part for one hundred dollars less at Auto Zone! and they stomp off. Or they
authorize him to do it and after the work is done say they cannot pay until
they get their tax returns.

> However, I do have a few I trust, and I know the vast majority are honest
guys/businesses.

There are of course a few customers these mechanics can trust, that are
honest guys too. They are happy to work with each other on a continued
basis. He hopes the next customer in the door will treat him with the same
respect they give to the doctor, lawyer, preacher, and others who they do
business with. After all it is just another profession, that attracts all
kinds.

Cheers,

Gary