'Proofing' electrics

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: 'Proofing' electrics
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 22:58:28 -0000
Guys
I picked up this tip from our resident 'auto sparks' man at Gaydon a
few weeks ago - and offer it for your review/consideration.
Wiring looms to lighting extremities are obviously prone to corrosion
on the contact blades of light assemblies and with the later Lucar
spade terminals a build-up of corrosion can play havoc at quite an
early stage on 'dry' contacts - especially those not protected with a
plastic shroud.
I've just done all my exposed (unshrouded) terminals using dual wall
heat-shrink tubing.  Don't heat it so that it totally hugs the
terminal - just apply enough heat to make it a snug fit around the
female. When its cooled, an old hypodermic syringe with some petroleum
jelly squirted up the inside of the spade makes a perfect lubed
contact. A quick check of some of the display cars clearly show this
exercise has been undertaken many times. It's a tedious thing to do
but it certainly seems to work. No bad electrical pathways either. On
bulb holders, I've previously used lightweight machine oil or WD40 to
prevent corrosion - but was not convinced by the results. Instead, it
seems a well loaded finger of 80 or 90 weight oil has proved to be far
more tenacious and effective.

Jonmac