RE: TR3 / 4 seat cushions

To: "Brad Kahler" <brad.kahler@141.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 / 4 seat cushions
From: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2001 19:41:48 -0500
>>There is a definite difference in the height between the 3 and
the 4.
The TR3 seat measures approximately 7" tall from bottom of spring
top of spring in the front.  The TR4 seat measures 5" tall.

>>Anyone have any definite info as to what height the TR4 seat
springs
should be?  Are they supposed to be the same as TR3 seats?

Brad,

I still have one original cushion from the set of early TR4 seats
I bought from you and it is 4" from bottom front to white
piping... which is where the spring is approx.  The brand new TRF
aka John Skinner springs that are in the car are 6 3/8" high
using the same measurement scheme.

I love the new seats because they are very comfortable on long
trips where the older, very rust springs were "back killers"
after a half hour of driving.  At first I was put off by sitting
up higher, but I got use to it soon and the springs are a bit
broken in now and sit lower than before.

BTW... I added a 1/2" layer of car upholstery form to the top of
the cushion and it really adds to comfort.  I would use 1/4" or
3/8" next time... as 1/2" is probably over-kill.

Brian Sanborn
'62 TR4  CT16260L soon to be "O" - Groton, MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site
http://www.net1plus.com/users/sanborn
E-Mail: sanborn@net1plus.com