Stag oil pump question

To: stag@digest.net, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Stag oil pump question
From: Lawrence G Miceli <lgmtr6@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2001 22:08:18 -0500
Hello All,

I have just had the wonderful experience of changing the oil pump on my
Stag.  The one I was replacing  was a reconditioned unit that I bought
from a reputable supplier when I rebuilt the car. I changed it because I
had a perceived oil pressure drop. As it turns out, the bolts that hold
the pump to the block had loosened and some oil was doing a nice job of
rust proofing the underside of my car, and causing me to think that my
bearings were shot. So, after fitting a new pump, and taking the car to
the car wash to pressure wash the oil off the underside, I decided to
take the old pump apart. ARRRGGGHHHH!! The pump is very badly scored. A
scary sight. I can find no evidence of contamination in the oil (which I
changed) and I am using a very good quality spin on filter.

So, my question is, I am trying to figure whether the oil flows from the
oil pump TO the filter, or if the oil is filtered BEFORE it goes to the
pump.

So, if there was contamination in  the oil pump , would it be filtered
out before the oil hit the engine, or would the pump take the brunt of it
before it was put through the filter . I looked in the ROM, but I didn't
see anything on this.

Thanks,

 Larry Miceli
Gold Coast Triumph Club