Re: TR& BFH#51 New Piggot Book

To: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Subject: Re: TR& BFH#51 New Piggot Book
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 09:21:42 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <Eganb@aol.com>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "John Macartney"
>If we seek to admire and support the cars produced by that
organisation in former times, the obvious corollary is that we should
acknowledge the FACTS rather than a quaint misconception of a cottage
industry in a sleepy village with roses nodding in the breeze from the
doorways of a country workshop.<

John,

Thank you so much for the injections of reality now and then.  As you say
myth and conjecture tend to prevail at times, not so much for reasons
diabolical but rather because of the absence of FACTS which folks like you,
who were there, can and do provide.

Speaking of conjecture, allow me to indulge.  When folks like us go to a
large British car meet and see a whole line of TR6's we are impressed.
"Boy, there must be at least 50 TR6's here!"  And going down the row we see
what may appear as random changes over the seven years of production.  What
we fail to grasp is that 50 cars represent about two days worth of
production from a line whose primary output was cars other than TR6's.
Well planned and well executed mid year running design changes might show
up represented by a single car in that group of 50 and may be considered,
as a result, an anomaly.  Then add in to the mix the fact, as you pointed
out, that other British car companies were indeed operated more in line
with the cottage industry model with roses nodding in the breeze wafting
through the open door leading into the garden, the guilt by association is
unavoidable - in the absence of FACTS.

This is the great contribution that you make to the community.  Along with
your wit and poetic elaborations in your posts.  Don't ever stop.

Cheers and carry on.

Dave Massey (Also engaged in the manufacturing field and in full awareness
of just how difficult it is to maintain parts and assembly supply to the
final assembly process)
St. Louis, MO USA
WWW.SLTOA.org
57 TR3 (with new shocks, new shock links, newly powder coated 48 spoke wire
wheels which performed flawlessly on the SLTOA annual Polar Bear Run last
sunday)
71 TR6 (head in the works for Spring transplantation)
80 TR8 (6,000 mile plus vetran of the 2000 VTR)