Speedo doesn't work--TR6

To: "Tom Di Iulio" <diiulio@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Speedo doesn't work--TR6
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 09:21:45 -0500
Message text written by "Tom Di Iulio"
>    i've re-attached my speedometer today with a new trf cable. i'm
running a j-type
overdrive with a right-angle drive coming off the o/d unit. after a test
drive, the speedo
shows no interest in moving. so i pull the tranny cover, disconnect the
cable from the
rt-angle unit and twist it in my fingers to see if the speedo needle will
move, it does.
    i pull the rt-angle unit to see if one end turns the other, it does. i
put white
lithium grease in the screw hole (i hope that's what it's for) and the unit
feels smoother
but after re-connection, still no speedo needle movement.
<

Tom,

The next thing to check is the speedometer drive gear in the transmission.
Jack up the rear of the car and support on jackstands so that the drive
wheels are off the ground.  Now you can run the drive wheels (and
transmission without actually having to drive somewhere (and risk running
into something).  Look up in the bushing to see the end of the speedometer
drive gear and see if it spins with the driveshaft. if it doesn't turn you
will have to replace it (it is a nylon gear on a steel shaft and can fail
without causing further damage in the transmission -although a fluid change
may be recommended. This can be done without removing the transmission.
Simply remove the bolt that secures the threaded bushing to the
transmission and withdraw the bushing and the gear.  Assembly is the
reverse of the above.

DAve