Re: TR7 BFH#53 - Emission and Cold Engine?

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR7 BFH#53 - Emission and Cold Engine?
From: Geo Hahn <geohahn@azstarnet.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 19:34:17 -0700
Eganb@aol.com wrote:

> One more question that's maybe related to my emissions problem.  Ever since I
> put my engine back together, the temp gauge never goes much above the second
> mark on the left, up from stone cold.

If the gauge is true then I'd suspect that the tstat is stuck open.  Should be
pretty easy to tell w/o opening anything up.  I'm not a TR6 guy but on most
every
car you can feel the lower radiator hose to ascertain when the tstat opens.
From
a cold start feel the lower hose as the engine warms up.  It should stay pretty
cool right up until the moment the tstat opens... then warm up fairly quickly.

If the tstat is stuck open it will just warm gradually as the engine warms, no
sudden change.

May be something else but this is easy to check.

P.S. Flush tees are often useful additions on engines that tend to trap air in
the
coolant.

Geo Hahn
59 TR3A