The Nightly Nutty report (was Tell Me I'm Nuts)

To: "triumphs list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: The Nightly Nutty report (was Tell Me I'm Nuts)
From: "Jerry Oliver" <slantws@home.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 08:37:43 -0800
Hi there....
I thought I'd report a summary of opinions of those that responded to my
thoughts of combining the various parts I have in my garage; the Jaguar
engine (cost $0.00), TR4A RHD Solid axle chassis (cost $50.00), TR4A body
(cost $150.00). I also have a TR4 without engine (cost $50.00).You can see
this is a big dollar project.
Most numerous response was concern over size of the engine. Best suggestion
award is a tie, that is,  two people that suggested I use a measuring tape.
I did just that. I went over to a TR250 (also a 6 cylinder).    I measured
from the edge of the battery tray to the radiator. Then I measured from the
back of the Jag engine to its radiator. About 3/4 of inch longer. I measured
the height of my TR4A engine, pan to that gulp valve thing. Actually just
about the same as the Jag engine. The Jag engine is higher in the front of
the engine. Maybe another hood bubble? Now width, that'll be tight. The pan
will just clear, as the TR4A frame narrows at the front, but it will clear
by 1/4 inch. This is the area of concern, as the TR engine sort of hangs
over the steering rack, while the Jag engine is pretty flat there. May have
to use an electric fan, eliminating the big Jag fan.
Also big in response was concern over weight. The guys on the XK Jag list
aren't sure, but estimate the Jag engine at about 750 lbs. With
transmission, probably 1000 lbs. So that's roughly 500 pounds more than the
TR engine and trans. I was thinking of getting some of those springs from
TRF, you know, the ones that raise the ride height about a foot and a half
(sorry Charles). Seriously, I would think different rate front springs could
compensate for 500 lbs??
Those who thought my question was a waste of their time and a poor use of
the list, you're probably right. I am properly admonished. I plead
indulgence as my unheated garage is too cold to work in, there is snow on
the ground here in the Seattle area this morning, and what else am I to do
with all this junk? Please, don't tell me what to do with it.
Signing off from Seattle....
Jerry Oliver
Olympia, WA