MGB owners dissed on TV

To: Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGB owners dissed on TV
From: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 08:49:56 -0700
While I don't see *any relevance at all* AFA Triumph owners go, I
thought some of you who know MGB owners might be interested in
the appearance of a couple MGB's on the TV show Friends last night.

Ross reminisces about his recent 30th birthday, when he bought
himself a red MGB. But he couldn't take his friends for a ride, since
it was always parked in (but strangely, never ticketed) on his New
York street. Bizarrely, it also started instantly every time he got in.

Finally, he and Joey are walking up the sidewalk and see... his car
is free, not parked in. They jump in, fire up the car, wait for traffic
to clear. The oncoming car is another, more worn looking red MGB.
The driver is, um, a rather sturdy bordering on 'wedged in' man, and
otherwise fairly handsome in a bald way. He stops beside them and
says "we are so-o-o hot!" Ross turns to Joey and says "want to buy
a car?"

Anyway, the show seems to be suggesting that our MGB owning
friends are insecure middle aged fellows compensating for signs
of aging with underpowered (yet bizarrely reliable) 'sports cars.'
We should certainly be supportive of our MGB owning friends as
they no doubt question their own driving choices, and likely consider
buying a more hairy chested car such as a Triumph. ;-)

--
Steven Newell
Denver, CO