Winter Radiator Temps/TR-4 Metal Fan/with-without Cardboard or Ha ving T

To: "'steven@cravetechnology.com'" <steven@cravetechnology.com>, "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "'brian.ruess@merant.com'" <brian.ruess@merant.com>, "'sanborn@net1plus.com'" <sanborn@net1plus.com>, "'greenman62@hotmail.com'" <greenman62@hotmail.com>
Subject: Winter Radiator Temps/TR-4 Metal Fan/with-without Cardboard or Ha ving Triumph FUN!
From: "Taffel, Sherman" <STaffel@bcps.k12.md.us>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 12:02:04 -0500
 Hi Steve- Thanks! - It seems from your preliminary report that your car's
operating temps are 'very similar' to what I reported, at least as far as
the gauge readings. Isn't 'Winter Triumph-ing 'FUN'!!
Anyone else enticed to 'Play with the Coolant Numbers'- we can establish an
'Archive'd data base on Winter Coolant Temps'.  For the future, we'll see in
'2020' if the Global Warming has affected 60 year old 'Triumph Winter
'CoolanT"!

Might be 65^ here this afternoon-but by the time I get home....
Ahh the wondeful technology of 'Heritage Cardboard', now should we run tests
with 'plain cardboard', 'Oil soaked Cardboard (in Greg's Triumph Marking
Territory Tradition);'Corrigated Cardboard', or Insulated Double Corregated
Cardboard'? in the 'Nutty Nightly Report Tradition'?

Maybe we should limit our 'Systems Analysis' (in comparison of
effectivenes)to TRF cardboard shipping boxes to Moss's and Vic Brit's
Shipping Cardboard boxes? Then we could do a cost-benefit analysis: Which
supplier's shipping boxes provide more winter heat for your Triumph and
correlate it to shipping costs!

I like the idea of a Jaguar engine in a Triumph: Will it be called "The
Triumph of Jaguar" or
"A Jaguar's Triumph".

As you can tell, Brian Sanborn has much more sense with his original Metal
Dash post! (A tremendous job of which, BTW, I am truly in awe of !). Brian
what temperature is your metal dash on a 32^ day with the heat on - after 30
minutes? Lets see- the Wood Dash provides insulation-.... should that be a
restoration factor?

Now lets see if we can start a thread on when (what year) Heritage Cardboard
was first used as a 'radiator air screen'in the winter. Triumph Technology
is MOST interesting, isn't it?

Sherman Taffel
Baltimore/Columbia, MD
- - - -
 Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com> wrote:
Subject: Re: Radiator Temperatures/TR4 Original Metal Fan 30^ AM

....On Monday the cardboard I used covered 2/3 of the radiator and
kept the gauge several degrees left of center on the drive in w/ OAT in
the 20s, and a degree or two left of center on the drive home, arguably
in the 40s. I probably will need to cover the entire radiator and wear a
hat for temps at freezing or below.

..... But I'm sure I can try your experiment first....

Steven Newell
Denver, CO