Re: tr7=trans=gt6

To: geo@ohio.net
Subject: Re: tr7=trans=gt6
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 13:58:22 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>hi i have a question...would you'll know if a tr7 5 speed box can be
>switched to a gt6 bell housing and installed into a gt6? is the main shaft
>compatible? thanks alot cause ive always wondered about this.... i could get
>a tr7 5 speed cheaper than the rebuild of my gt6 od. geo
It would have to be adapted.  It won't bolt to the block.  It *might* be
easier to use the TR7 bellhousing and just make a new backing plate, that
matches the GT6/TR6 block and TR7 bellhousing although I have never really
seriously looked into that.  BUT to answer your question, no, the tranny
won't just bolt up -

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)