RE: TR2 crankshaft bearings, cylinder sleeves, etc. (long)

To: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR2 crankshaft bearings, cylinder sleeves, etc. (long)
From: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 08:00:49 -0500
Cc: "Randall Young" <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
> I have never clamped down the cylinder sleeves as in
> shown in the Bentley manual.  I don't think I could begin to
remove the
> stud bolts from the upper block to put in a shorter stud to
hold a
> washer and a nut in place as a sleeve clamp.  On an engine that
has had
> several thousand miles on it are the cylinder sleeves going to
come
> loose that easily??

>>Probably not, but it is one major PITA to get the whole thing
back together
and have the fig 8 gaskets leak !  Also, if the sleeves are stuck
in the
block, you may have trouble getting the head gasket to seal.
BTW, you can
make sleeve retainers by piling up 1/2" drive sockets on the head
studs,
until they are tall enough to clamp in place with a head nut.<<

Rob,

I didn't get your original e-mail for some reason.

But I made a set of two liner clamps that work with the head
bolts in.  I went to the hardware store and purchased some "black
pipe" nipples of the right length and a couple of large thick
fender washers.  They are installed exactly like the pictures
show in the workshop manual.  There is a washer on the top for
the head bolt nut and the washers on the bottom were graduated
out in size.  The most bottom one is just big enough to catch the
edges of both liners.

The parts are in a freezer bag down in the tool chest in the
garage.  Let me know if you would like the detailed measurements.
All the parts were off the shelf and cost just a few dollars.
They work fine... I used them to clamps down on my liners after
they were slipped into the block with new figure eight seals and
Permatex goop.

Brian Sanborn
'62 TR4  CT16260L soon to be "O" - Groton, MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site
http://www.net1plus.com/users/sanborn
E-Mail: sanborn@net1plus.com