RE: TR2 crankshaft bearings, cylinder sleeves, etc.

To: "Rob Blubaugh" <blubaugh@rcsc.k12.in.us>, <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR2 crankshaft bearings, cylinder sleeves, etc.
From: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 09:10:10 -0500
Rob,

I did get the original after all.  here are some thoughts.  Check
out the engine rebuild section of my website.

>>>At the machine shop the machinist
(sp?) popped out one of my bearing sleeve inserts and saw on the
underside that it was a .010" oversized sleeve.  (The crank had
been
ground once before.).  My machinist says that with the wear that
is
evident visually he is sure that it will take at least another
.020" and
possible .030" of grinding to put things right.<<

The cranks are usually sent out to a central machine shop as this
requires very expensive equipment.  The damage may only need .10
If the crank is shot then try to find another on the list.  There
are so many parts engines out there that you would not have
trouble finding the part.  In fact you can probably find and buy
another candidate engine out of a parts car for $200

>>> He suggests a new cam is probably in order as these cannot be
easily machined.  For engine #15848 would I have replaceable cam
bearings??  My Bentley Service manual says that block replacement
was
necessary on the earlier engines, but changes were in the
works.<<<

Your engine sounds only a little worse than mine was as far as
internal wear.  I replaced my stock cam with another stock cam
from BPNW.

>>> The shop says
all of my exhaust valves are seating too deeply into the head and
new
seats are needed for all four.<<<

Have the head done with new valves, springs and hardened inserts
on the exhaust valves.  I would also recommend that you use
bronze valve guides and modern Teflon seals on the intake valves.
BTW, based on your story the rocker shaft and the bronze inserts
in the rockers are probably shot as well.

>>>I was planning on new cylinder sleeves, pistons, rings, etc.,
but TRF
says they have none in stock and it may be some time before they
are
available.  Before the tear down my compression was 175 - 200 psi
on #s
1, 2, and 4.  The 65 psi on #3 was the valve problem.  Would I be
silly
to redo the valves, the crank bearings, the cam and leave the
cylinder
sleeves alone?<<<<

BPNW (British Parts Northwest) carries a 83, 86 and 87MM piston
liner sets that use modern design Maule 3-ring piston and Devis
rings.  I used the 87MM set and I am very pleased with the
results.  TRF and Moss had nothing in '98 when I was looking.  I
noticed that RevingtonTR sells the same set in the UK

>>>Perhaps with all the problems that my engine seems to have and
the
expense to make it minimally reliable, I would be better off
going for a
TRF short block at around $2,000.  Would that include a ground
crank,
new bearings, new or reconditioned cam, new cylinder sleeves,
pistons
and rings?<<<

TRF saves those "no stock" parts for there rebuild business.
They will probably give you a quality product.  But I don't thin
that included the head so you have to add that.  Even if you have
to find a replacement crank I think you will spend less than
$2000 on the bottom end.  If investment is an issue...  Have you
thought of trying to find a running donor engine from a parts car
and just clean it up a swap it in?

>>>My car is (was?) a marginal candidate for restoration.  I
would like to
avoid putting excessive amounts of money into it.  I would be
pleased to
hear from some of you who have been there and done this and that.
<<<

You don't know it yet but you are already infected with a disease
that empties your wallet.

Brian Sanborn
'62 TR4  CT16260L soon to be "O" - Groton, MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site
http://www.net1plus.com/users/sanborn
E-Mail: sanborn@net1plus.com