TR-2,3,4A: Torquing upper A arm bolts question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR-2,3,4A: Torquing upper A arm bolts question
From: John Cowan <jfcowan@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 11:02:08 -0800
    We just changed the rubber bushings on the inner upper A arms of my
TR-4A.  The manual calls for 26-40 ft-lbs of torque on the bolts, but I
don't see any realistic way of getting a torque wrench on them.  The
problem is further complicated since it is recommended that final
tightening be done laden, with the car sitting at normal road height.
    (I visualize the car up on a lift with two people sitting in it, but
that still leaves the problem of getting a torque wrench in place. What
were they thinking?)
    Any suggestions on how to approach this problem.
Thanks.
    John Cowan