RE: tr4 cylinder head

To: "'jim watson'" <tallcaguy@hotmail.com>, vtr@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: tr4 cylinder head
From: "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 14:39:11 -0500
Jim-
        I'll assume you have this unusual cutout on only 1 chamber?  If so,
it would appear that a previous valve grinding job went astray,  or similar
mis-adventure with unforgiving machine tools.   If the surface upon which
the head gaskets' chamber-perimeter seal rests has been seriously altered,
things look bad....   If the depth of cut is fairly shallow,  you might be
able to plane the head and regain a decent sealing surface. Too much planing
will raise the compression to unworkable levels, i.e. overheating,
detonation, and worse.   I have run heads that have had up to about .100"
milled off,  and it was a bit cantankerous...
        You might be able to find someone who could repair the damage,  (
Preheat the head, build up the damaged area with a machinable Ni welding
rod, re-machine flat)  but this is a high stress part of the head, and
success would be not guaranteed.   Better to locate a fresh head and do it
right, one time.
Good luck!
Bob Westerdale
59 3A  TS36967