RE: TR7 BFH#56B -- Dashpot oil

To: "Jim Altman" <jaltman@altlaw.com>
Subject: RE: TR7 BFH#56B -- Dashpot oil
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 22:03:31 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>, "[unknown]" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>, "[unknown]" <Eganb@aol.com>
Message text written by "Jim Altman"
>The dashpot oil issue resurfaces from time to time and there are a variety
of answer of what people use.  The dashpot oil ONLY performs a function
during acceleration and does nothing during idle, cruising and
decelerating.
It dampens the rise of the piston causing an enriched mixture during
acceleration.  The heavier the weight of the oil, the slower the rise of
the
piston will be and the richer the mixture during acceleration.
<

I have "heard" that the dashpot ( a technical term meaning shock absorber)
also serves to dampen out oscillations in the piston position at steady
state but I have yet to see a piston oscillate at steady state conditions.
But then I don't spend much time under the hood at speed.

Actually I did see a Japanese car (I forget what type - they all look alike
to me) with a variable venturi type with a horizontally mounted piston.  We
couldn't get the car to run right and determined that the dampener had
leaked dry and the piston was oscillating severly.  But I have never seen
this on an SU or a Z-S.

Dave Massey
57 TR3
71 TR6