RE: TR7 BFH#56B -- Dashpot oil

To: <Eganb@aol.com>, <Triumphs@autox.team.net>, <tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
Subject: RE: TR7 BFH#56B -- Dashpot oil
From: "Jim Altman" <jaltman@altlaw.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 15:28:23 -0500 com> .com>
The dashpot oil issue resurfaces from time to time and there are a variety
of answer of what people use.  The dashpot oil ONLY performs a function
during acceleration and does nothing during idle, cruising and decelerating.
It dampens the rise of the piston causing an enriched mixture during
acceleration.  The heavier the weight of the oil, the slower the rise of the
piston will be and the richer the mixture during acceleration.

I use ATF which is rather thin.  I use ATF because there is a lil rubber
o-ring at the bottom of the tube sealing the needle holder against the tube
preventing the oil from running out.  ATF will not attack the o-ring
requiring replacement less often.

The bottom line is: use whatever makes you feel good.

Jim Altman  jaltman@altlaw.com Illigitimi non Carborundum
http://www.altlaw.com/metro/jaltman.html    69-TR6 76-TR7 80-TR8  W4UCK