Re: -- Dashpot oil

To: "Triumph Team. Net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Brad Eells" <bradlnss@lightspeed.net>
Subject: Re: -- Dashpot oil
From: "levilevi" <levilevi@home.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 23:17:15 -0700
List,

All right.....it's been awhile since we've had the Dashpot Oil thread...this
is always fun.

Here's my guess...they tell you to use the current grade of oil because in
the old days you changed your oil according to the temperature.  And the
same goes for dashpot oil.  The idea was to keep your oil viscosity close to
what 20wt oil is at around 65-70 degrees F (ambient air temperature) in your
engine and in your dashpots.  And since the viscosity of oil changes with
temperature you lower it 5 or 10wt when it's cold and raise it 30 or 40wt
when it's hot.

My solution is to use a multi-viscosity oil.....Castrol full synthetic 5w-50
in my engine and my dashpots.

Bud Rolofson
71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
71TR6 CC65446 (Christmas Ornament)
66TR4A CTC57806 (The Wreck soon to be just a memory and parts for the
project)
66TR4A CTC57529 (The Project)