RE: torque settings for Caliper bolts "Desperate" ( Long)

Subject: RE: torque settings for Caliper bolts "Desperate" ( Long)
From: "Brad Eells" <bradlnss@lightspeed.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 22:27:41 -0800
Patrick,
YOUR NOT SUPPOSED TO TAKE THE CALIPERS APART! Pardon my internet shouting.
I took them apart too! No torque figures or sequences are given for this
reason.

I split the calipers on my TR4A and when it came time to put them back
together I used general  torque figures for Grade 5 bolts of the diameter of
the bolts in question. I used to have a chart that had the figures. I can't
remember the bolt sizes but looking at the workshop manual suggests a 3/8"
bolt at 32-35 ft lbs; 7/16 at 50-55 and so on...
I tightened the bolts very small turns at one time inside/outside then
outside/inside. The calipers have never shown any sign of leaking after 15
or 16 years, so it came out alright.

Some one may have one of these torque charts or one may be posted on the
internet.

Good Luck

Brad
65 TR4A
I know that I was always told never take the
calipers apart. Does any one know this information? I dont really want to
spend the money on new calipers