TR4: generator light, normal or not

To: Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4: generator light, normal or not
From: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 14:42:18 -0700
Despite chilly weather and some remaining snow melt,
I've been driving the TR4 to work over the last week --
mostly because the old Range Rover is waiting for a new
fuel pump. And it's good for the soul, I suppose. ;-)

On starting for the trip home yesterday afternoon, and
today when I went out for lunch, the red generator light
came on -- and stayed on until I was halfway out the
parking lot. I thought it could be because of my draw
from the early morning trip in, but then I noticed that the
gauge looked... dead? Right in the middle, not jiggling
like 'normal.' It starts fine. Then the light goes out, all's
right in the world.

The generator is a new rebuilt unit (local Moss guy) as
of December. I'm not sure if that makes it a likely or
unlikely point of failure. Any other likely culprits? I
thought 1) the gauge, or it's wiring, 2) the ground wire
for the generator, or 3) ... well, I haven't bought Dan's
book yet, and I don't really 'get' this stuff. The best clue
I can provide is that the light went off yesterday as I
drove down our bumpy alley, and today as I cornered
a rough section near my parking space, making me
think of loose wires shaking about. TIA for your thoughts.

--
Steven Newell
Denver, CO