RE: TR4: generator light, normal or not

To: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>, Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4: generator light, normal or not
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 15:31:39 -0800
Steven :

The light will not stay on because of any earlier 'draw', and the fact the
engine runs pretty well proves it's not the wiring to the ammeter.  The
generator ground is an extremely remote possibility, since it is bolted
directly to the engine, which has to be mostly grounded or again it will not
run.  (The ignition circuit also returns to ground through the engine
block.)

IMO the most likely culprit is the regulator itself, although loose wires
between it and the generator, or a fault in the generator itself, are
possibilities.  The ammeter needle should also not 'jiggle' visibly, except
at very certain engine speeds, which suggests your regulator has been on the
way out for some time.

Suggestions : First double check the wires from the 'F' and 'D' terminals on
the regulator to the matching terminals on the generator.  Pay attention to
any signs the connectors have been overheated in the recent past.

If you can duplicate the problem (red light on with engine rpm between
1500-2000), check the voltage between the F and D terminals on the
regulator.  It should be under 0.1 volt.  (If not, the regulator is bad.)
Check the voltage from either terminal to ground.  If it's over 12v the
regulator is bad, under 12v is a bad generator or bad wiring between the
regulator and generator.

More tests :
With the engine off, disconnect both wires from the F and D terminals on the
regulator, then measure the resistance between the terminals.  It should be
under 1 ohm.  (If not, the regulator is bad.) The resistance from the F wire
to ground should be around 6 ohms. (The D wire's resistance is not
particularly meaningful.)  Connect a voltmeter from the D wire to ground
(leaving the F wire disconnected).  Start the engine, you should see 1.5-2.0
volts at 1500-2000 rpm.  Stop the engine, connect F and D wires together
(still with voltmeter to ground), and start the engine again.  Now, you
should see the voltage rise to 12v before you increase the engine speed as
high as 2000 rpm.  (Don't rev the engine any higher than 2000, or let the
voltage rise much above 12.)

If all these tests pass, you almost certainly have a bad regulator.

Randall