Re: Any suggestions on how to remove the trunnion bolt?

To: "Bryce Milton" <Bryce@Milton.com>
Subject: Re: Any suggestions on how to remove the trunnion bolt?
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 18:26:28 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Bryce Milton"
>Oops, good point Randall - I'm working on a '76 TR6.

-Bryce

Randall Young wrote:
> Depends on which car you're working on.  TR2-4 use a pin that is pressed
> into the trunnion casting and cannot be removed through the wishbones.
>
> Randall
>
> Bryce Milton wrote:
> >
> >     I'm trying to replace some worn front road springs today, but I'm
having
> > difficulties withdrawing the bolt that secures the trunnion to the
lower
> > wishbone - Am I missing something here?  I've disconnected the sway
bar,
> > removed the damper, and relieved the ball joint of spring tension with
> > jack.  Any thoughts?  It is just a straight machine bolt, right?
> >
> > -Bryce
<

Bryce,

Yes it is just a bolt but it passes through some steel sleeves at the
wishbones and the trunion.  These bolts typically rust to these sleeves
over the years and become difficult (read impossible) to get out.

Anyway, if you are just replacing the spring why are you trying to remove
the wishbones?  All you need to do is remove the shock, take up the spring
tension with a jack and remove the four bolts and two nuts that secure the
spring pan to the wishbones and the pan and spring will drop out the
bottom.  My recomendation is forget the trunion for now (but figure you'll
likely need to cut the bolt when it comes time to rebush the suspension so
get a new bolt for that job) and stick in the new springs and drive happy.

Dave Massey
71 TR6 (and others)