TR4 overdrive: secret agent man

To: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Subject: TR4 overdrive: secret agent man
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 18:26:26 -0500
Cc: Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by Steven Newell
>So I'm sitting with the boys this morning, looking at car photos on the
laptop.
We get to the photos of my TR4 provided by the PO before I bought the car.
When
I bought it he told me the overdrive didn't work, perhaps I know why -- I
noticed that in every photo of the interior, the overdrive is switched ON.
Not
all photos are from the same day, so I'm guessing he drove with the O/D on
most
of the time -- and probably enjoyed backing up with the O/D on also.

To refresh my memory, backing up with the O/D engaged = bad. Right?  Just
thinking about fun projects to do in the driveway this summer. ;-)
<

Steve,

Unless he also bypassed the inhibit switch on the transmission, the
overdrive will not be engaged unless in 2nd, 3rd or 4th gear (in your case,
3rd and 4th for later model TR6's).  So just leaving the switch in the on
position can't hurt the O/D.

Dave