[Triumphs] Spitfire (sort of) Disk Brake Question

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Triumphs] Spitfire (sort of) Disk Brake Question
From: "Peter Wrisley" <pwrisley@ultranet.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 11:19:05 -0500
I'm relatively new to this list, been lurking on the Digest.  I'm not new to
LBCs, having owned and worked on them since my first car, a 1960 TR3 in 1970,
and currently own a '64 Jag EType roadster and a '65 Ginetta G4.

I have a question about Spitfire Disk brakes - I don't own a Spit (or any
Triumphs right now), but my Ginetta is intended to use Spitfire front disk
setup, I believe.  The Ginetta uses Triumph Herald front uprights, fabricated
A-arms, Triumph (I think) hubs redrilled for 4 inch PCD wheel pattern.  The
Herald upright is almost the same as a Spitfire, except it lacks the integral
Disk Caliper mounting ears - a separate mounting plate is bolted to the
upright.  I am lacking the entire front disk brake setup, and need some info.
What Caliper does the Spitfire use?  14LF?  What is the distance between
mounting bolts on the Caliper, and from the hub center to the Caliper mounting
holes?  Are there any lightweight alternatives to the Spitfire Calipers?
I don't really need better braking than the Spit setup can provide, the
Ginetta weighs but 990 pounds.  However, reducing unsprung weight on a car
this light has a significant effect.
TIA for any help,

Pete Wrisley
Hollis, New Hampshire, USA