Re: Heralds in the US?

To: krhodes1@maine.rr.com, triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Heralds in the US?
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 13:44:58 EST
In a message dated 2/26/2001 11:14:20 AM Central Standard Time,
krhodes1@maine.rr.com writes:

> I keep thinking that I would really like a Herald to keep Freddy the
> Spitfire company. But being here in the U.S. of A., what are the realistic
> prospects of finding a decent one here? What are Herald prices like in the
> US?

Moderate, as in maybe $500-4000+ for convertibles, and not quite as high
"top-end" for sedans. Odd thing is that the convertible is far more common in
the US, as that body style outsold the sedan sometimes by a 6:1 margin.

> Ideally I would like a convertible, but wallet considerations will probably
> mean a Saloon (or better yet an Estate) with the big cloth sunroof.

 Estates were not marketed in the US, although a few are here via Personal
Export Delivery or other means. Cliff Watts in CA has a gorgeous one, for
example. And, sadly, the US market never got sedans with the "sunshine" roof;
for that you need to go to the UK.

> ...cheap enough in the UK, would it be worth buying one there
> and shipping it over? The right hand drive would be a bonus, I think! I
> live in a container port, and have a broker as a client so I think I have
> the connections to do it. A pre-1966 should come over with no hassles from
> the government, correct?

Right. Actually, any Herald up through 1971 would probably come over here
with no real hassles. But "cheap enough in the UK" can be misleading. While
saloons especially are still fairly plentiful there (much more so than
convertibles -- I think we in the US got as many or more of them than did
most other markets), you still get what you pay for. Actually, a saloon sold
here might be as good a deal, since they are far less desired of than are the
convertibles. (And those of you with unwanted saloons are welcome to send
them along to upstate NY! :-) )

> Any BTDT's? Anyone have a niceish Herald they want to part with? I am
> thinking my budget for this will be about $5000.

Nothing in my stable is for sale. However, there is a, er, greatly overpriced
Herald on eBay at this very moment, and there is a $1500 '67 convertible
project car in Canada, listed on the VTR online classifieds. The cars seem to
turn up quite a bit nowadays, now that folks appreciate their true worth! :-)
:-)

Contact me privately and I'll put you in touch with someone who brought a
13/60 saloon over to the US last year.

--Andy

Andrew Mace, President, The Vintage Triumph Register
<www.vtr.org>