Differential Installation Questions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Differential Installation Questions
From: Daniel Julien <dgjulien@swbell.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 13:18:22 -0600
My TR6 differential self-destructed the other day. The chunks of the pinion
that fell out when I opened it up pretty much guarantee that it's a goner. I
was lucky enough to quickly find a used diff at a reasonable price. The seller
bought it from someone who picked it out from a pile of parts, so no telling
how long it's been since it has actually run. All I know at the moment is that
it does seem to turn freely (more than I can say for the diff I took out). I
guess the only way to test it is going to be to install it and see how it does.

I'm thinking that before installing, to maximize my chances of not having to
take it out again any time soon, I should drain it, take the cover off and
clean things up the best I can. Anything else I should do while I'm at it?
Are the seals easy enough to replace that I should do that as a matter of
course, or should I wait to see if they leak first? Is just sitting filled
with fresh gear oil going to test them?

Any advice is appreciated. I don't want to take this thing out again if I
can avoid it!
--
Dan Julien
Austin, Texas