RE: tr6 electric fan conversion

To: "triumphs (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: tr6 electric fan conversion
From: "Biedermann, Frank (SSABSA)" <frank@ssabsa.sa.gov.au>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 09:36:26 +0930
<- embarassing error removed ->

> Nice idea, Frank.  Unfortunately, it won't work.  When the
> fan is being
> turned by the airflow it is acting as a generator.  The
> voltage will be the
> same polarity as when it is a motor but the current will be reversed
> forcing current through the diode just as if the switch were
> closed.  Do
> not confuse this phenomenon with the free wheeling diode effect.
>
> If you put the diode in the motor circuit you will block the current
> generated by the motor but the diode must be a big one - one
> with a rating
> greater than the motor current.
>
> Cheers
>
> Dave

Yes, thanks for pointing that out, although I believe Randall beat you to
it. For some reason the fact that the motor would be turning in the same
direction completely slipped my mind, until of course, after I'd sent out
the email. Which was too late...  :-) A stupid mistake I know, but I think
I'm gaining a reputation for consistently making them...

Apologies to everyone...

Frank