73 TR6 questions

To: Dennis & Bridget Lambert <blambert@socal.rr.com>
Subject: 73 TR6 questions
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 20:47:02 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by Dennis & Bridget Lambert
>In my leisurely quest to find an early TR-6, I have run across a 73 that
shows some promise.  Not being versed in the subtle (and not so subtle)
differences between the various years of TR-6's, I have a few questions:

1) Are there any serious performance issues in comparing the earlier
cars vs the 73?  I'm looking for a nice daily driver, not a race car
candidate (but it would be nice if it could get out of it's own way)

2) Is the interior of the 73 basically the same as the earlier years?
When did the adjustable headrests come into being?

3) If a 73 were equipped with OD, would it be an "A" type or "J type?

4) California listers: Is a 73 subject to smog certification?

<

Dennis,

the 1973 model year was the first year of the later model TR6's.  In this
sense it has the later style gauges and interior and the CF style engine.
The CF engine had the compression reduction from 8.5:1 to 7.75:1but got the
more aggressive camshaft so although torque was down the horsepower rating
remained unchanged.  There are those who prefer the earlier model as the
engine has about 7% more torque but the later engine rev's more readily.

Since the interior is the later style it should have the later seats with
the adjustable headrests and the self destruction foam padding in the seat
backs.  It will also have the later style gauges which you can actually
read at night.  And the stalk mounted headlamp dimmer.

If the 73 has an overdrive it will have a J-type although the A-type will
fit (and they actually may have produced a few with the last of the
production A-types - they were notorious for things like that).

Good luck on the search.

Dave