Re: 73 TR6 questions

To: "Peter Zaborski" <peterz@merak.com>
Subject: Re: 73 TR6 questions
From: "Nelson Riedel" <nriedel@nextek.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 22:15:47 -0400
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
From: "Peter Zaborski" <peterz@merak.com>

| > Also, that's the first time I have used a J-type OD; a little
| > different from an A-type.  Like I had been told, it was very
| > similar to an automatic transmission shift.
|
| Listers,
|
| Well I guess my ignorance is going to show here ... I have only driven a
TR6
| with the J-type so I have no reference point. How much different is the
| shift? On my car, the J-type kicks in pretty much when I switch the lever.
| Also, not having an automatic car, I guess I might be missing something
| there as well. Does any care to elaborate for the uninformed on what the
| above comments might mean? Is the J-type really bad?

Peter et al,

The A and J type shift quite differently.  My J type shifts into OD in about
two seconds at 30 mph and one scond at 60 mph (high gear), fairly soft, like
a automatic in need of repair.  My A types shift into OD in less than 1/2
second, independent of speed/engine RPM.  The switch is harsh (it's really
neat).  The J type switch out of OD is a little harsher than the A type.  I
understand the design changes A to J were in part to reduce the harsness of
the shift into OD and the associated shock to the drive train.

Nelson Riedel
Granville Ohio
'68TR250, '70TR6, '76TR6