Re: One more thing

Subject: Re: One more thing
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2001 09:31:16 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Jack :

IMO electronic ignitions are _less_ reliable than points, in the sense
that they are more likely to suffer a failure that prevents the car from
running at all.  Points will almost always get you home.  Plus, it's
easy enough (and free) to throw the previous points in the glovebox (or
spare tire), and install them on the side of the road if necessary.  Of
course, points _are_ higher maintenance, regular adjustment and
replacement is a necessity.

In addition to the lack of periodic maintenance, the Crane should offer
two other advantages : it's much less sensitive to distributor shaft
wobble (worn bushing) than points, which should result in more power and
better gas mileage.  And it's better at firing slightly fouled plugs,
which should make starting easier.  I frankly was not impressed with
either of these attributes, when I installed one on my TR3A.

I had to modify (cut) my point plate to install the Crane's pickup, and
finding the right position for the pickup involved a bit of trial and
error.  I also had to change the rotor, as my old rotor would hit the
Crane pickup, causing strange problems.

Also, with the XR3000, you lose the ability to set the static timing.  I
assume this is not a problem with the XR700, but they have been reported
to burn up if you leave the key on and the engine not running for too
long.

Randall