Re: RT I-70

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: RT I-70
From: AKATR5@aol.com
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 15:04:18 EDT
Hi all,
I have been reading all the postings about the various trips to and from VTR
this year and thought I would throw my own adventures into the ring.  I
caravaned in my TR250 from Southern California with a TR3b, TR4, another
TR250 and a TR4(Ford).  We encountered everything from extreme heat, 114
degrees in Las Vegas, to rail, hail, thunder and lightening thru Utah and
Colorado.  There was construction on RT 70 between Grand Junction and
Breckenridge just like Joe Curry said but it was kind of nice to slow down
and take in the extraordinary scenery through that canyon area.  The one long
tunnel thru the mountain was closed down to one lane each direction and I
believe they were serious about keeping the speeds down as several road
workers holding "slow" signs signaled me to slow down.  The construction on
RT 70 in Utah was worse with lots of loose gravel as Randall pointed
out....he did call to warn us but I didn't check messages on my cell phone
until we were past that point of our journey (we left Green River at 4am to
beat the heat and I never even thought of checking my messages at that hour
of the morning!  LOL).  We did have quite a few roadside tech clinics on this
trip and also 2 cars ended up with cracked windshields thanks to the gravel
on the roads in Utah.

Final score on repairs/car problems going to/returning from VTR:

TR3B- had wheel wobble problem so put spare tire on in Barstow, CA first day
of trip.  On trip home right rear tire blew taking out the right rear
wing/fender (Herman is in a rush to get it all fixed and painted before
Triumphest).  Stopped in St. George Utah and bought 4 new tires. Also got a
cracked windshield thanks to the Utah road construction.

TR4- Flat tire middle of California desert first day of trip (tires were only
one week old) only 14lbs of air in his spare(remember always check your spare
for air before trip!)

TR4Ford- Water pump went out about 35 miles outside of St George Utah. 4.5
hours later we were back on the road and Steve had a new waterpump.

TR250- Cracked windshield and overdrive relay quit working

My TR250 picked up a lot of gravel chips but windshield did not crack.
Experienced engine feeling like it was cutting out a couple of times going up
a grade outside of Mesquite, NV in 112 degree heat but after slowing down did
not have any other problems. I love my car!  It may not win beauty contests
but it got me there and back with no real problems.

I had a great time and enjoyed meeting a lot of the you guys from the list.
I think the Rocky Mountain club did an excellent job of hosting the event and
I can certainly appreciate all the time and effort to put on such an awesome
event. Thank you!

TRsRock,
Jan Dawson
1968 TR250 for better or worse for over 16 years now...and very happy to be
back home where it can get sufficient oxygen!

PS  Almost forgot another good point of the trip for me....I won $525 in Las
Vegas the first day of our trip....yep, the 250 is going to get some new
goodies!!!!!!