Re: Bench testing a TR3 fuel gauge

To: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bench testing a TR3 fuel gauge
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 09:04:53 -0700
Art :

I've been meaning to do a complete curve on my sending unit for some
time, but haven't yet done so.  ISTR full scale resistance (full tank)
is around 120 ohms, empty is much lower, like 10 ohms.

Note that the TR2-3 fuel gauge is a 'balanced' movement, unlike the
later gauges it is designed to be insensitive to voltage variations.
Instead, it responds to a current differential between an internal
winding to ground, and the current through the tank sender unit.  What
this means in a practical sense is that you must ground the meter case,
and that it's more appropriate to connect specific values of resistance
to ground when testing, rather than try to apply a specific voltage.
Also note that both the gauge's orientation, and being mounted in a
metal panel, will affect it's reading.

If there's no needle deflection when the gauge is properly connected, I
would suggest just buying another original gauge.  They're fairly common
and cheap, since they rarely fail.  $20-$30 on eBay, sometimes even
less.

Randall