Re: Herald/Standard 10 engine/commission number question

To: "Triumph List (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Herald/Standard 10 engine/commission number question
From: Davies William-qswi646 <William.M.Davies@motorola.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 07:53:21 +0100 teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id f866rPP06845
> Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 15:20:04 EDT
> From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
> Subject: Re: Herald/Standard 10 engine/commission  number question
>
> True, but possibly at a serious penalty. The pre-80001 Herald
> 1200s had a, shall we say, less sturdy chassis that might or
> might NOT take the strain of a 1296, especially one at peak
> pre-emissions stock performance of 75 hp or greater.

Very true indeed. Recent involvement in the dismantling of 2 1960 948
Heralds has revealed frightening levels of stress damage - both cars were
fitted with their original 948 engines. In one case the chassis had cracked
vertically through 50% of the chassis leg in front of the forward diff
mounting on one side. There is no way I would ever consider putting anything
more powerful than a stock 1147 into a Mk1 Herald chassis.
        Cheers,
                Bill.

                            This Message sent by:
    ^================^
   /                  \     William Davies
  /                    \    Total Triumph Enthusiast
/  \  ______  ______  /  \  1959 Herald 948 Coupi Y128
\__/  \     ||     /  \__/  1959 Herald 948 Saloon
|    A \____||____/ A    |  1960 Herald 948 Saloon 100% Original
| =  H              H  = |  1961 Herald 'S'
=====U==============U=====  1961 Herald 1200 Coupi
\________________________/  1968 2000 Mk1 Saloon (the Wife's car!)

Join The Herald Mailing List at: